Well it’s been awhile my internet is finally fixed….and I have been behind…not on computer much. I had a rough week last week and it didn’t get better. I don’t really want to talk about it at this time..but when it feels right I will. Just pray for me. Please.
have you all of heard of the Beattitudes? I thought everybody had heard of them….I remember when I started reading the bible years ago and I realized how so many things in society, sayings, phrases, quotes and such came from the bible and I didn’t even know it. Now I know them and I am still amazed at how it all means something different all the time…to certain situations, times or events in our lives. Rob had never heard of the Beattitudes..which just astounds me. The beattitudes come from Jesus….they are defined in the gospels..and in Mathew they are given on the sermon on the mount.
I want to just go through them for you because there were a few that I may have missed or didn’t truley understand until my sermon yesterday …I thought it may be good refresher for some of you..or for those who have never heard of them. I think they would make a really pretty quilt idea…..and Nancy Halvorsen has one Here . It’s kind of cutesy in her normal style. But I have many other ideas running through my head…just as the word does for everyone right? we get different visions and perspective.
Anyway do you know what Beattitude means? It means “blessed”, Blessed means “pure joy” Good to know right?
Matthew 5:3-12 – The Beatitudes
Blessed are the poor in spirit, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.
Blessed are those who mourn, for they will be comforted.
Blessed are the meek, for they will inherit the earth.
Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness, for they will be filled.
Blessed are the merciful, for they will be shown mercy.
Blessed are the pure in heart, for they will see God.
Blessed are the peacemakers, for they will be called sons of God.
Blessed are those who are persecuted because of righteousness, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.
Blessed are you when people insult you, persecute you and falsely say all kinds of evil against you because of me. Rejoice and be glad, because great is your reward in heaven, for in the same way they persecuted the prophets who were before you. (NIV)
So here is some explanation.
1. Poor in spirit…doesn’t mean depression….or lacking in the Holy Spirit. This means that you know you need GOD, Jesus and the Holy Spirit. We recognize as humans we can’t do it alone..we have to have spirit to live. We need God to fulfill everything. He brings us absoultely everything.
2. Mourning…..Do we mourn for thr world and it’s brokenness? Do we mourn for the hurt, sick, poor….and unsaved? God hearts breaks everyday for these things…as should ours. Do we mourn for our sinful natures? Do we repent?
3. Meek doesn’t mean weak. Meek is humble. Do we humbly seek the Lord? Do we give credit to God..where all comes from?
4. Seeking rightousness. This asks us or tells us that we need to hunger and thirst for the Lord. So we crave the Lord as we crave everyday life things…such as food and water…is he a need in our lives?
5. To be merciful…this means to treat others as God treats us. Do we forgive when we should punish? Do we love the unloveable? Do we show kindness instead of hate? There is no revenge in mercy.
6. Pure in Heart. Pure in heart means to be holy inside..nothing man can see…something only God can see. Inside purification.
7. Peacemakers. Peacemakers don’t act out of Anger. I believe that peacemakers are called God’s son’s because that is exactly what Jesus was….he was the bridge between God and us ( his people)…what a title and privledge to have! we are to be a bridge as well..between God and the world so we can reach his people. He calls us to reach our brothers and sisters.
8. Persecution for our faith. Well this really goes without saying. It happens everyday. But it is not a secret. In the bible or the world. I don’t really care who thinks I am crazy….or fruity. I will be crazy all the way to Jesus! If we aren’t being called bible thumpers or bible bangers..we really aren’t doing what we were called to do…right?