Well I finished this 12 year old UFO. It was a long time in the making….you want to know why? I made one for everyone else before myself. After I got done making one for everyone else I went thru a divorce….and this sat. I even bought “expensive” fabric for this at the time…it is Debbie Mum fabric..and I spent 12$ a yard. 12 years ago that was OUTRAGEOUS! However, it has the months of the year printed on it and it suited the pattern perfectly. But it’s also confession time.
1. I didn’t really know how to keep a quarter inch seem allowance. I didn’t really know it was “hard & fast” rule to quilting…just a suggestion. hehe
2. I didn’t measure borders or sashings. again I didn’t even know what a long arm was..or there was such a thing to quilt. Nothing lines up correctly
3. I used several different colors of thread to construct….I used whatever color was closest. HA! In true confessions even now if it’s my own project I may not match up threads perfectly because it honestly bothers me to have little bits and bobbins of thread hanging around so I will use them just to get rid of thread. ðŸ™‚
4. I also just embroidered on muslin without ant stabilizer or batting. SO you can see every single stray thread.
5. I didn’t know how to make a french knot. In all actuality people have shown me several times I couldn’t ever get it down until this past year in Virginia’s Felted Women class..I got it down and I can still do them. Thanks V! So in this I used beads and sewed on beads anywhere that I needed a french knot. How’s that for using my noggin?
I didn’t know any different. I had a passion inside me to sew. So I just took bits & pieces of what I had learned from everyone else and winged it. I didn’t have a computer back then or you-tube. I didn’t buy my first computer until 2002. Weird right? It’s only been 11 years. In fact I didn’t even really know what email was..I was a late bloomer to computer land…and now look at me…a blogger and all! :)I quilted it with Continuous Curves, Stipple, loopie feather, curls and leaves. I thought about an all over stipple because it’s kind of primitive looking…and that suits. Also because it’s one of my beginner projects …but I just decided to go with a few different designs.
So I had this really poorly pieced top…and only a few months left to embroider….I finished it a long time ago. I bought this line of fabric for it about 3 years ago. I love it. Most of them are from the same line ( well at least the key pieces) It’s called “Seeds of Faith” I took some close ups of the border..but around each moon and design is a scripture….LOVE that! I figured I would be keeping this quilt as it has been with me through a lot already..so I should make it a bit bigger. So I just kind of built around it and tried to even it out with each border I added. so it would be straight..and it is. I also used all of my scraps and improv pieced a back so I wouldn’t be adding to the scrap bin.
The bittersweet part? Is that Grandma Horton died last year at this time….and when I got the few things I requested one of them was the small wall-hanging that I made for her of these embroidered months. She loved it and she didn’t see any of my faults or errors. She was like that…and she appreciated everything I made for her. I loved her so much and sorry she is gone. But she made my world better. So I inherited my gift to her back before I finished my own….isn’t that the way we quilter’s work? She was a gift and she gave me many as well.
Debbie sent me these beautiful note cards. I kind of want to hoard them..but what good are they if I do that? So they will have to go to “special” people that deserve them. LOL Isn’t it weird how I think? Thanks Debbie I love them!
Robert and I have been trading labor…and well he love to embroider and has many patterns and CD’s to choose from. I chose a certain CD..and he sent me a sample block so I would know what to expect …it’s beautiful! I am choosing a different color way that will make it rich and beautiful. I can’t wait to get started and get mine done ..just so I can quilt it. I have my own embroidery machine..but defunct at trying to use it.
I also got this back from Karin. It’s a scrappy trade quilt. I am in LOVE! Doesn’t it look modern? I have never made a string quilt but have always wanted one….I even cut out foundations for them about 4 years ago..never did it….so I love these scrappy trades. She has been worried about the length of time but I don’t ever even think about it. I think I have some boxes out from over two years ago ( I doubt I will be getting those ones back) but for the most part I know that they find their way home all nice and neat in quilt tops. This is AMAZING! Thanks Karin! I also just have to say I see no errors? I have no idea what you are talking about. But don’t you just love my scraps? Every once in a awhile you will see a bare chested man from the beefcake fabric I used for a few projects. hehe. I still have some stashed. I also got a message from Lori she is mailing her scrappy trade quilt as well.
Today has been a great day. I love these gifts…in all forms. It’s so nice to have friends. I hope you all know what a blessing you are to me.