OH BOY! Are you all ready for this?
So I started working on this quilt last weekend and I finished it this week. A friend and I swapped 9 patches last year from our scraps of jelly rolls. I had a bunch of mis-match ones that I kept as well. Plus I made extras..so I have around 300 9 patches that need to be put into quilts. I used 60 something in this one. I think our seam allowances are a bit different too..I noticed…so not all of my points are perfect on this quilt. Not a problem..it all worked out.
I decided to set them with hour glass blocks. I got the idea from Bonnie Hunter’s Chunky Churndash Quilt. I love the way it finished up. I like the controlled scrappy of this setting. But I have to admit that it took me a long time to find two contrasting fabrics to use to set them. I wrote about it on my last post about this.
I also decided to put this quilt top together. I was part of a few block swaps last year on Flickr. I asked for the Asterisk block from Craftsy. ( it was a free block in the BOM of 2012) and I loved it. I had debated whether or not to make it bigger..but decided it would look nice as a wall-hanging. Plus I have more blocks made from patterned fabric. So I am going to add blocks to the other one. 🙂
I didn’t take pictures of all the quilts. Annette always does a beautiful job….I am going to show them after they are quilted.
Fabric Count 85.75+1.66+4.5+5.5+.5+11+1+5.25+.5+6= 121.25 yards used so far. In 2 months I have used this much from my stash…WOW!
1.66 used for backing & binding of asterisk quilt
4.5 used for backing of 9 patch quilt
5.5 yards used for HG blocks & binding for 9 patch
.5 for binding on a scrap quilt
11 yards of backing for a HUGE quilt Annette made ( can’t wait to quilt it…so pretty)
1 yard for binding on that HUGE quilt. Stripes. Maybe I will make them bias. 🙂
5.25 yards for green & peach scrappy quilt backing
.5 yard binding
6 yards for backing & binding for Elvis quilt
Last night I started to realize that if all this keeps up I will have to start using sacrificial yardage. I have been using all of those odd & end pieces without mates to piece my backings and what not. I have been making scrappy type quilts and I feel it won’t be much longer until I no longer have that luxury….I will have to start using my “sacred” pieces. Maybe I have another month …if it becomes to stressful I can start scrapbooking and go into denial. LOL
Personal finishes for 2014 (these are ones I made from start to finish):
1. Scrappy Squares (pieced & quilted)
2. Amy Scraps (quilted)
3. Scrappy 500 HST (quilted)
4. Soothing Gray quilt ( quilted)
5. Modern Monkey Baby (quilted)
6. Dresden Flowers (flimsy)
7. The Grinch Quilt (quilted)
8. Mod Vintage Tablecloth quilt (quilted)
9. Scrappy Swoon (quilted)
10. Scrappy Owls (quilted)
11. Scrappy Postcards (quilted)
12. Double Delight (quilted)
13. Deep Sea Bubbles (quilted)
14. Red, black, white & gray Big & Bold (flimsy)
15. Scottie Dog Houses (flimsy)
16. 9 Patch Scrappy (flimsy)
17. Asterisk Quilt
Scrappy Trade Quilts Finished:
1. Harmony’s Soothing water quilt (Quilted)
2. Plaid Bouquet (quilted) Made by Annette
3. Snowman Advent Calendar (quilted) made by Karin
4. Snowman Welcome sign (quilted) Made by Karin
5. Squared Origins (quilted) Made by Harmony
6. That Thirties Thing (quilted) Pieced By Annette ( will post this later today) Some pics are posted on Fb.
7. Wing It! Rectangled (quilted) pieced by Annette
8. Scrappy Origins (quilted) pieced by Harmony
9. Peaches & Cream (quilted) Pieced by Annette
I also just want to Give a shout out to a friend of mine…She is so SPECIAL to me and she sent me a precious gift that came in the perfect time…when I had a rough day and it made everything just a bit easier to know I have people who really care about me.
Most importantly God!
Thanks J! I love you! I sent you an email in case you read this today…:)